Tel: +27 21 855 0395
Tel: +27 21 855 0395
- Island Safari Lodge is under new management and Temba Travel is once again proud to recommend this lodge.
- Legendary for it's good service to the tourism industry. It has been a landmark since the early days, where most well-informed and famous visitors choose to overnight in Botswana.
- Cresta Maun lodge is the newest addition to the Cresta family. The spectacular hotel is situated next the Thamalakane river 18 km outside of Maun. Here you have the best of both worlds, 4 Star luxury, within driving distance from Maun, with views of the river.
- An affordable alternative camp for families or individuals in the south of southgate in the Moremi area.
- Crocodile Camp and Spa has been part of the gateway to the Delta since 1946. The camp is situated on the banks of the Thamalakane river. The recently refurbished camp is one of the most luxurious and romantic locations in Maun.
The town of Maun has long shed its image as a “Wild West” frontier town and is today one of Botswana’s biggest tourism centers. Maun - established in 1915 as the capital of the Botswana people - has earned itself the name of Gateway to the Okavango Delta.
Maun means ‘Place of the short reeds’ - referring to the reeds growing in the nearby Thamalakane River. The rise of the tourism sector in the town has led to the replacement of traditional thatched rondavels with new cinderblock homes with tin roofs. Despite this very obvious sign of progress made through tourism, Maun is probably best known for the many donkeys and goats roaming around.
One of the fine lodges in Maun is Riley’s Hotel, established in 1910 when the town was the meeting place for big game hunters on their way to and from the hunting area to the north. Back then it took a grueling 35 hours to travel from Francistown to Maun. By the time the men reached Maun, all they could think of was rest and something cold to drink (maybe not necessarily in that order…). Harry Riley saw the gap in the market - and the rest is history!
Riley’s Hotel, in the center of Maun, is to a large extent a symbol of the days when Maun was an isolated frontier town. Island Safari Lodge, to the north of Maun, is another landmark of those early days. The Gateway to the Okavango does have an airport - considered one of the busiest airports in Southern Africa.
Another place in Maun worth a visit is the Maun Game Reserve. It is small, covering only 8km², but there are many walking trails. The original ‘place of the short reeds’ is situated in the reserve.
If you decide to visit Chobe after your visit to Maun you can stay at Chobe Safari Lodge or at The Big 5 Chobe Lodge (Toro Lodge) or perhaps in self-catering ( self contained ) accommodation at Senyati Safari Camp. It will take you 6 hours to drive from Maun to Kasane. Once in Kasane you can consider visiting VICTORIA FALLS in Zimbabwe where we offer a selection of excellent accommodation.
The Kingdom Hotel is the newest and therefore the most modern hotel at Victoria Falls. The Kingdom Hotel is within walking distance of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.
Rainbow Towers Hotel in Harare, the capital of Zimbabwe is one of Zimbabwe's most luxurious hotels. The Rainbow Towers was previously known as the Sheraton Hotel Harare.
Upington Accommodation is for Upington what Maun accommodation is for Maun. You can book lodges such as the Upington Country Lodge or the more popular Sunriver Lodge through them. Other South African Lodges includes the Misty Mountain Lodge is in the Misty Mountain Reserve in the Tsitsikamma district, Kob Inn our famous wildcoast resort and overnight accommodation such as Kambro self-catering and Transkaroo lodge in Britstown in the Great Karoo.
The Stiltz a lodge or hotel in Swakopmund, Sossusvlei Desert Camp at the entrance to the Sossusvlei park in Namibia can both be reach from Maun in a single day. Before traveling to Swakopmund you can spend some time in Windhoek the capital city of Namibia. About two days drive from Maun near Otjiwarongo in Namibia is the very popular Waterberg National Park with its breathtaking views and beautiful mountains.